Saturday, November 1, 2008

A new beginning

Well I have no idea if anybody is reading this blog anymore, I am pretty out of touch with Western Society it seems. This was evident yesterday as I strolled down Chinese boulevards on my favorite holiday (Halloween), and saw not a soul dressed up in costume. It is was simply business as usual in the Orient, making life seem normal yet still very strange. I have persevered through a troublesome month of October, I feel like I went through the metamorphosis of a butterfly: I was in a cocoon for four days lying in misery after my surgery in a hospital bed; then I slowly broke my way out of the shell with training wheels (crutches of doom); learned how to fly (walk, or actually stumble for the most part); and now I have launched myself into the real world once again.

Beijing, China is not a handicapped friendly town and I am very happy to be off of my crutches. Nevertheless, I am still the slowest mammal in the city as my right leg has as much strength in it as a Newt Gingrich's gizzard. When I get dropped off via taxi to trek my way to class, the Chinese students stare at me as if I'm a mystic being that just landed in their realm. The SC jacket, or LA Dodgers backwards hat, or "LA Don't Love You" t-shirt probably doesn't help my anonymity. Nevertheless, the simple act of walking to and from class is really a big deal for me now, after having the ability to walk taken away it really makes you appreciate how fortunate one is to have a pair of somewhat able-bodied legs. The only real difficulty in my marches has been crossing the street since pedestrians do not have the right of way in China. Taxis, motor scooters, bicyclers, they will not hesitate to mow you over if you're got in their path. So every time I cross the street I have to precisely time my stroll. I wish I had a Youtube clip of the molasses-level speed I display in my cross-walkings. Small children whiz past me like they are on HGH, but so far so good. I am still batting 100% in my attempts to not get mashed by a Chinese speed-racer.

I'm really looking forward to November & December. I hope that these months are what dreams are made of, since I really paid my dues. Dealing with such adversity has made me realize how important it is to maximize my experience here, so I have decided to stay until the end of the year and really ramp up my Chinese lessons at three hours a day starting next week. I'm even contemplating doing some job interviews, so that I can have a contingency plan if I cannot get a good job after finishing my MBA at Pepperdine. Judging by the Scud missile's descent of the stock market, this looks to be a cold reality.

Well, I hope everyone is doing well back home. Just wanted to let the people know that Matthew S. Atkinson is once again back on top. We're not talking Mt. Rushmore, but at least some sort of a stepping stone larger than a pebble. I hope that my horrific injury will make me a better person, and I will say at the very least it has made me much more humble. I have lost my favorite hobby of playing sports, and even seeing the frequent sights of table tennis & badminton on ESPN Asia makes me cringe a little bit.

Happy late Halloween & USC Homecoming,

the no longer handicapped Matthew Atkinson

No comments: